This division, in cooperation with the State of Florida Disbursement Unit (SDU), acts as the central depository for receiving, recording, reporting, monitoring and disbursing alimony and child support payments, in accordance with Florida Statutes, Section 61.181. Florida law also directs the Clerk of the Circuit Court to process liens for nonpayment of support. Additionally, this division processes court cases filed by the Department of Revenue, Office of Child Support Enforcement, and assists the judiciary during related court proceedings.
Automated child support payment information may be obtained by contacting the State of Florida Disbursement Unit in Tallahassee at (877)769-0251. Clients must have their case number and social security number ready. This will give the amount that was disbursed and the date of disbursement. If the social security number of the absent parent is used, information regarding the balance due is available as well. **If you do not know your case number, you may obtain it by contacting the Clerk of Courts Customer Service Department at (904)548-4612 or search by your name here: OCRS PORTAL.
The Department of Revenue assists custodial parents (whether married, separated, divorced, or unmarried) with the location of non-custodial parents. The CSE division assists with the establishment of paternity and/or a child support order, and enforcement of child support obligations even if the non-custodial parent resides in another state other than Florida or lives in a foreign country.
To contact the Department of Revenue in Tallahassee, Florida please call toll free 850-488-KIDS (5437).


Q: What is child support?
A: Child support is money paid from one parent to the other for the benefit of their children. For more information consult the relevant Florida Statutes.
Q: How do I get child support for my children?
Q: What can I do if I have not received my child support payments?
A: Contact your Clerk of Court's office. The Clerk of Court's office can file a judgment against the delinquent parent resulting in a lien against any real property owned by that individual. In private cases, the Clerk of Court's office can initiate action to suspend the delinquent parent's driver license and registration. You can find your Clerk of Court's telephone number here. For additional assistance, you may also contact a private attorney or the Department of Revenue.
Q: How can I pay?
Q: What if my address has changed?
A: You are responsible for notifying your Clerk of Court's office of any changes. This information should be put in writing and mailed to the Clerk of the Circuit Court (i.e. the county's address in which your support case is filed). Remember to include your case number with these documents. You can find your Clerk of Court's telephone number here.
Q: Do you offer direct deposit?
A: Yes. You can have your money directly deposited to your bank account or, in some cases, to a Florida Debit Mastercard.
Q: How soon after signing up will I begin receiving my direct deposit payments?
A: Your direct deposit authorization form should be processed within 2 months. During this time you will continue to receive payments via mail.


(904) 548-4606



76347 Veterans Way
Yulee, Florida 32097


416 Centre Street
Fernandina Beach, Florida 32034


8:30-5:00, Monday - Friday
( Excluding Holidays )

Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.